Welcome

Welcome to our blog! This is a great spot to check out events and promotions and to get information on eyes and vision. We'd also love to get any feedback on our office or anything else you'd like to share.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Electronic Eyeglasses Review

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/business/13novel.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=homepage

The above link is referencing a new technology that is out for people who wear multifocals (bifocals, trifocals, or progressives).  I was really excited when I first heard about these glasses.  I like gadgets, and I like new stuff, and in theory this is a really cool idea.  In theory these glasses act like distance-only glasses when you want and can be turned on to give you a reading power only when you need it. 

I had the opportunity to try these out at Vision Expo last October.  I wish I could say that they were everything I had hoped for, but there are some shortcomings.  They do not really become a distance-only lens even when the reading part is turned off, there is just half of the reading power, so there is still some "swim".  Also, when I was trying these out, I could not get the reading to turn on just by moving my finger along the temple.  It took several tries, and I eventually had to get some help, which makes me think it would be a pain if I actually wanted the reading part on.  The reading part has crystals in it, allowing the power to be changed, but they made the lens a little hazy, not completely translucent, with no wider reading area than current progressive lenses.  Additionally, these are only available in certain frames, which are for averaged size faces - ok if you have an average-sized face. 

All in all, I do still like the concept, but I think it needs some work.  Maybe the second or third generation will be great.  I'll keep you posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment